Although we can process native InDesign files, converting your documents to PDF format before submission can eliminate many common problems that can delay your order. These problems include missing fonts, mismatching color modes and more.
Click the header above to expand a step by step guide to saving native InDesign documents as Production Ready PDF files.
1. From InDesign, choose File > Export and select Adobe PDF in the format field.
2. In the Export To PDF dialog box, select High Quality Print as the Adobe PDF Preset.
Then select General from the options on the left and check the Create Tagged PDF option.
Finish by clicking EXPORT.
When directly Exporting to PDF from InDesign, the PDF format has a maximum document size of 48 inches. If your document size is larger than 48 inches in height or width, there is an alternative way to create a press ready PDF. This is done by "printing to file" as an Adobe PostScript file, and then converting it to a PDF in Acrobat Distiller. Click the header above to expand a step by step guide to this process.
1. Open the document in InDesign, and choose File > Print.
Choose PostScript® File from the Printer menu.
Choose Device Independent from the PPD menu.
2. Next choose Color Management. Make sure the Document and Printer profile are the same. For Color Handling, select "Let InDesign Determine Colors".
3. In Advanced, check the "OPI Image Replacement" option to insure all link files are embedded correctly.
Enter a name in the File Name box, and click Save to create the .ps file.
1. Start Acrobat Distiller, and choose "High Quality Print" from the Adobe PDF settings/Default Settings pop-up menu (Distiller 6.0-8.0) or the Job Options pop-up menu (Distiller 5.x).
2. Choose File > Open, and navigate to the PostScript file and click Open.
A PDF will be created and saved in the same location as the .ps file.
Lamar Graphics can process the .ps file created in Part 1 for you if you do not have Adobe Distiller. We encourage the use of Adobe Distiller as it compresses the file and shortens upload time. A compression program like Win Zip or Stuffit should be utilized when Distiller is not available.